-

ANONYMOUS - ADVICE - INSIGHT - TRUTH - GREEK

11.06.2009

So what's it like in your neck of the woods? -1-

This is a recent interview had between Greek Kind of Life and a Sorority Sister.
Let's see how she feels about her greek community.


GKOL: How important is it to you to feel a sense of community within the greek system at your school?

SS: It is very important to me that the whole greek community is close, not just houses in themselves. Being part of a greek house is something that is supposed to bring people together, rivalries are fine and all but the only thing that comes out of houses being cruel to each other is confirming stereotypes and people getting hurt.

GKOL: What is the overall feel of the greek community at your school?

SS: To me I feel that the greek community here is fairly close and at it's worst it's tense but cordial. I am not the type to make enemies though so I might be looking at it through rose tinted glasses. For me I have only heard of rivalries and never seen them enacted, but there is no doubt that there is an undercurrent of tension between certain individuals.

GKOL: How would you describe the influence that social greek organizations are for the social life of campus?





SS: I feel like unless you are in a house you have no idea how the greek system works. I joined late my sophomore year and it was the first time I had ever researched greek life, let alone been involved. I really believe that the only things the public sees are the bad things and the huge parties and the philanthropy work goes mostly unnoticed. That might be because the scandal is way more interesting but who knows. I know that the fact that there are gossip websites almost totally devoted to greeks doesn't help though.

GKOL: Do you believe the social greek organizations at your school project a good image of the college to those outside the community?

SS: I believe that when we are able to go out into the community and interact with people on a one to one basis we are a great example. Every person involved in greek life has a chance to lead something and I think that really helps with how we poise ourselves in a public setting. We learn how to be on our best behavior and how to make that behavior a habit.

GKOL: What is one thing you would change about the greek community you are a part of?

SS: I would change the publicity that hits papers. I know that the newspaper at my school is not a fan of greek life by any means. There is never an article about greeks unless it is about rape or binge drinking (or an explosion), And while that is all something that happens in greek life, whether we like it or not, it also happens in the outside world but it is typically associated with greeks by the newspaper. There was no mention of a recent weeklong philanthropy that earned thousands for Dorenbechers. And I think that is something that needs to be acknowledged.

It seems she has a pretty good outlook on her community.


How does yours compare?


Leave comments below or send us an email 
greekkindoflife@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment